THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joel Kroon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:35:03 -0400
Hi,
   After months of hoping my thyroid would recover on its own, my doctor
has decided that I am indeed hyperthyroid and I should take the
radioactive "cocktail."  Initially, he believed my problem
(palpitations, hair loss, memory problems, and increased heart rate)
were from thyroiditis that was in the process of recovering.  The
thyroid antibody test was normal, but my TSH has been suppressed (<.07)
for at least 5 months and my T4 was in the "high normal" range.  The
fact that my T4 was recently 1.4 (up from 1.2) in conjunction with a T3
RIA of 225 (normal 80-180) has convinced him that I am indeed
hyperthyroid even though I have no goiter!  I am a 39 year old female
whose thyroid scan was borderline last December.  I am understandably
nervous about taking "the cocktail" and would really appreciate anyone's
words of wisdom about this.  What can I expect from "the cocktail" and
should I go for a second opinion before I do this?  I am supposed to go
on vacation in a couple of weeks and I am concerned about leaving in
light of this finding.  Are there after-effects from "the cocktail" that
would warrant me staying home for a month or so afterward?  My
endocrinlogist enjoys a very good reputation in this area and I do trust
his opinion, I just wish he would have ordered this T3 RIA test sooner
and maybe I wouldn't have had to play the waiting game for so long.  He
was just very puzzled about my case because I do not have a palpable
goiter and I understand it is rare to be hyperthyroid at my age with no
goiter.  I live in the Detroit area.

Thanks,
Sue