THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Janeczko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:34:43 -0400
Rebecca,

You surely need to see an endocrinologist about your symptoms.  Ask whether
you should be tested for Cushings Disease.  Your GP doesn't seem to be
equipped to handle your case.

A lot of us have been through similar experiences and not properly
diagnosed for years, resulting in serious illness when early diagnosis and
treatment would have gotten things under control.  Antidepressants always
seem to be offered in lieu of good "detective work."  Personally, I think
it has a lot to do with being female and dealing with physicians who think
that all women are hypochondriacs.
----------
>       I hope I can get some help understanding my thyroid results and my
GP
> reaction.  He prescribed prozac (which I never filled) for being tired,
> though I have symtoms like thinning hair, vitiligo patchs on face and
neck,
> dry skin, acne ...
> constant sinusitis, sore throats, cold hands and feet, and tire easily,
and
> remain tired even after resting.  Recently I've even (much to my
embarassment
> begun to grow  hairs on my chin, and breasts-these hairs are dark and are
> thick like a mans.
>       I just recently turned 36 and have been feeling really tired this
last
> year.  When I saw my GP in Feb he asked me if I was depressed, I said
no-but
> knew what it was like having had one bout with depression 11 years ago.
So