THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kaycie Drennan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:52:46 -0500

<< I would have to convince my HMO that I needed it is the problem.  I guess
if
 I was willing to pay for it out of pocket, I could have the test run.>>

Hi, there!  I thought I'd come out of lurk mode for a few minutes.

I don't know if this would help in your decison making process or not, but
I'm going to a nutritionist to try to identify why I can't lose weight, and
to make sure I'm eating correctly.  After taking some time to see what I eat
and how much, the lady I'm working with couldn't figure out any reason for me
to be overweight.

She suggested that my thyroid might be out of whack.  However, I had a blood
test only a year ago that said it was "within the normal range."  Her comment
was that it might have been a "low normal" that would respond to treatment,
and I should have it tested again.  I told her I'd rather have a little more
ammunition that just a "hunch" when I go back to my doctor, since it's a PPO
that doesn't like to spend money on tests they think are unecessary.

She then told me there was a very easy way to get an idea if it was not
functioning correctly.  She told me to take my temperature every morning for
a week.  (just like basal monitoring for infertility tests)  She said that if
it was below 98.7 regularly, I should go back to my doctor with that
information, and he would know what to do about my thyroid.  So far, it's
been under 98 degrees every morning, so I'm setting up an appointment next
week to go in and talk to him.

I don't know how valid this is, as I haven't talked to my doctor yet, but for
the $4.99 it cost me to get the digital thermometer, it sure seemed like a
good idea to try it.  Maybe it could work for you.

Good luck,
Kaycie