THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patti Hellerud <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:21:03 -0400
Alice and others interested,

I was diagnosed with hypogammaglobulinemia (what a name!) by my allergist
after repeated sinusitis, bronchitis, etc.  He did a blood test on my IGg
levels and on the IGg subclass.  I have nearly no IGg subclass 3 and low
overall levels of IGg.

It is an immune deficiency disease also called "agammaglobulinemia" and CVID
(Chronic Variable Immunodeficiency).  The symptoms include recurrent
bacterial infections--ears, sinuses, bronchi and lungs.  It is associated
with some thyroid disorders.  (I am hypothyroid, but hoping a switch to
Armour will help with the infections.)

Anyone on AOL can go to Better Health, immune deficiencies message board for
information from people with these kinds of problems.   Other resources on
the internet are:  (1)  Merck Manual, under Section 2, Immunology, Section
19; and the Jeffrey Modell Foundation.

Currently, I receive intravenous IGg once a month.  I feel better, but I
still am getting infections with rapid onset.  I am on antibiotics always to
prevent infections, but when my IGg gets low, my doctor says that the
"antibiotics are like shooting blanks."  The treatment gets them to work
again.  I am going to keep trying to figure out the connection to thyroid
disorders.

Patti