THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
=Jaguar= <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 10:33:21 -0400
>At 01:07 07/19/97 -0400, siona wrote:
>>At 12:08 PM 7/18/97 -0400, =Jaguar= wrote:
>>>At 19:45 07/17/97 -0500, D.J.Cohoon wrote:

>>>I have been taking Synthroid .1mg.  I had my Rx refilled and
>>>the medication says L-Thyroxine. Should I have any concernes?

>>As for concerns if a switch was made, I'd say to let you, your
>>body and your reactions determine the effectiveness of one over
>>the other.  Quality control is always a concern, but depending
>>on the drug and your responsiveness to it, some variations may
>>or may not be significant.

>I have to disagree a bit here.  Generic brands can be within 20% plus or
>minus the dose that they are the generic for.  This means that if you are
>prescribed for .1 Synthroid and are taking a generic you could be taking a
>dose that's anywhere from .08 to .12.  I don't think generics of synthroid
>should ever be taken.

Well, we both have an opinion about generic drugs in general and
synthetic thyroid in particular.  I agree that using brand name
drugs over generic is almost always the "better" alternative
especially when you consider it is *your* body and *your* health
which may be affected. However, generics have their place especially
if cost is a factor.  Despite the potential for dosage variance,
many people can tolerate such variances without significant ill-effects.
I attest to that based upon my long-term usage (20 years) of synthetic
thyroid using both Synthroid and a generic.  It is, as with most things
in life, a personal choice based on personal reasons.

=Jaguar=  ... Visit Jaguar's Lair - "http://www.jaglair.com"