THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alice Nestor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:50:04 -0400
I had the right side of my Thyroid removed on the 9th of July.  I had a
nodule which I had  a fine needle aspiration on this May 16, with
inconclusive evidence
we chose surgery.  I was told this evening that the nodule was
cancer(Folicular).
The nodule was even sent out for a second opinion.  My brother had Folicular
thyroid cancer two years ago, he also went through the fine needle, had the
same
results, and had surgery twice, and the radiation.  My surgeon said it was a
fluke
that we would both have folicular thyroid cancer, that folicular was not
genetic.

I'm 43, my brother is 38, does any one know anything on folicular thyroid
cancer?
Has any one out there who has been diagnosed with folicular, ever found a
resource to their cancer?  I have a little girl who is 5, if it is a fluke,
I'd like
to know if I should be investigating my enviroment.  I hope I'm making sense,
I thought I would be dealing with this better than what I am, so please
excuse me for my  sentences.

There was an article in our local paper a couple weeks ago that was talking
about
thyroid cancer, and about nuclear testing out west, and how the feed for
cattle  and such was contaminated.  It said that there was such a high dosage
of radiation that 40 yrs later children who were born in the 50's were having
such a
high rate of thyroid cancer.  I did'nt save the article.  Does any one know
anything on this?  Thanks for any input--Alice Nestor-surgery bound