THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:03:31 -0400
Kate:

Thanks for the info. I have a question maybe you can address. In terms
of carbs, the Zone diet emphasizes less bread/pasta/simple sugar
carbohydrates, and emphasis on fruit and vegetable carbohydrates.  It
counsels "reducing" overall carbo intake, but it's not so low that, like
the Atkins Diet for example, it is almost "no-carb" and induces ketosis.

My rudimentary understanding is that the high-glycemic starchy/sugar
carbs are the ones diabetics are advised to eat in major moderation, but
that high-fiber fruit/veg carbs are encouraged. Is this the case?

Also, I'd be interested in what the definition is of "cutting back the
carbs" too much, by the standards your docs told you.  When I was
zoning, pre-pregnancy, I was on 10 blocks a day, which translated to
around 90 grams of carbo per day, broken up into small meals.  I could
eat ALOT of fruit/vegs, not too much bread/pasta, etc., to get to that
level.  With the average slice of bread having 15 grams of carbo, I'd
probably HAVE to go to high-glycemic carbos in order to eat 60-90 grams
of carbos per meal.

I'm not diabetic, but I really believe that being hypothyroid, one needs
to eat much like you are in order to balance blood sugar and such.  Zone
may not be the perfect balance, and in my never-ending search for weight
loss enlightenment (which will no doubt be far more frantic post-baby)
:-) if you have any info or sources you can recommend, I'd appreciate
understanding it more!

THANKS!!

Mary