THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheldon Silverman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:10:51 -0400
After reading so much about the Zone Diet through this group I bit the
bullet and bought the book this weekend.  I did all the tests and
calculations noted in the book and this is what I learned:

My height is 6 feet.
My weight is 192 lbs. with  154 lbs, of lean mass

my protein requirements = 154 * .7 = 108 grams of protein a day.

Since in the diet 30% of calories come from protein, 30% fat and 40%
from carbos, my numbers work out like this:

P = 108  grams = 432 calories
C = 139 grams = 555 calories
F =   48 grams = 432 calories

Total calories = 1419 calories.

QUESTION:    I'm  6 feet tall, moderately active.  I can guarantee
anyone reading this that if I only ate 1,400 calories a day I'd lose
weight, no matter what I ate.  Wouldn't it be fair to say that the Zone
Diet works because it is a calorie restricted diet, and not because of
any magic ratio of C,F&P?  Isn't the truth that like in any diet its the
calories that count?

Sheldon Silverman