THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:04:55 -0700
Saran wrote:
>... I want to ask if anyone knows if you can have thyroid antibodies
without actually having hypothyroidism. I had bloodwork done in March and
had a slightly elevated TSH.  My thyroid functions were in the normal range.

>Hi, Saran:

I have normal thyroid hormone levels (T3 & T4) and I have thyroid
antibodies.  I'm diagnosed as having Hashimoto's disease.  So, it is
possible to have the antibodies without having the hypothyroid CONDITION.  I
think that's the point my doctor always stresses to me...  hypothyroidism is
a condition... having the antibodies is more than that.  My TSH levels are
undetectable (0.00) but this does not necessarily mean that I am
hyperthyroid since my thyroxine levels are normal.  This is supposedly
typical for Hashi people, where you go on a rollercoaster ride of hyper &
hypo... my doc thinks that I could become hyper some time soon.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Elaine