THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Janeczko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:35:18 -0400
Yes, I've just read the book, "Natural Progesterone", by Dr. John R. Lee.
He does a good job of explaining hormone production and metabolism and does
claim that, applied transdermally, natural progesterone will improve
thyroid function and help build bone mass, among other things.  Since it
didn't sound like sales hype to me -- and as far as I know, he isn't
involved in the sale of products containing it, I have begun using it.
It's too soon to make any judgments about its effectiveness.

 Natural progesterone is NOT any of the name-brand birth control type
pills.  They are synthetic, and called progestins, even though some doctors
are under the impression that they are identical.  The point has been made
in the book that doctors receive most of their "continuing education" from
pharmaceutical companies, so they are not familiar with natural hormones,
which can't be patented.  There is a lot of information available on the
web.  Using a search engine, type in "progesterone" and you will find a lot
of information.

As I understand it, DHEA is also something which your body makes and plays
a part in the "dance of the hormones".  Since I've heard some things about
overdosage and don't really know if people are trying synthetic DHEA, I
really cannot comment on its use to promote thyroid function.