THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Tease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:06:32 -0400
In a message dated 06/06/97  07:44:28, you write:

<<  The second test was with carbimazole, a
 derivative of methimazole and all studied infants were uneffected by
 maternal treatment.  Levels of PTU in milk were reported since the drug
 is ionized and protein bound. And no evidence of effect in infants was
 found with careful follow-up. >>

I should demand to know what careful check up means? There is a very
strong possibility that the child subjects were not followed up as
closely as they ought to have been, for a long enough period of time. Time
is a disabling factor in most studies and it is difficult  when there are
mothers who are desprate to breast feed because their body is telling
them that they should. It is tempting for people to say go ahead and
breast feed it's OK, but the risk should only be taken if an individual
is not asking the question 'Is it safe'? If the doubt is already
there it has to be lived with for life, which is not good for any mother
psychologically.

It would be dreadful for any mother to have breast fed their child on
the basis of possible incorrect information, do you not think?

No-one could advocate breast feeding as much as I do, I think it is a
wonderful bonding process. I am not anti breast feeding unless it is
with antithyroid, because nobody knows the consequences until
someones child suffers them.

Carol