EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:57:35 -0500
	One thing I always wished they had when I was taking
college biology was 3-dimensional models of all the things that
can only be seen under a microscope such as one-celled plants
and animals. I am not sure, but somebody may produce such models
these days.

	As for physics,  the things you suggest are certainly
useful but one can also learn quite a lot from low-tech things
if the instructor handles it right.

	Such things as musical instruments and the sounds you
get when hitting the open end of a pipe with the palm of one's
hand while the other end is closed and then repeating the same
thing with the other end open, can demonstrate various
properties of waves.

	This might turn out to be more of a systems problem in
which teachers could suggest how they would go about teaching
various scientific principles to those who are blind.

	As one who in the seventies studied occupational and
adult education, I appreciate what you are doing. It will be
most effective if common materials can be used possibly in
uncommon ways so that the facilities are affordable to as many
people and groups as possible.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer