Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:58:59 EDT

Hi Listmates,

Per the recent discussions about inulin, I had previously checked with some
manufacturers who use inulin in low-carb foods or prebiotic supplements. So
far, the inulin in low-carb foods has always been derived from chicory which is
gluten-free. Inulin has a slightly sweet taste, therefore may be showing up
more frequently in Atkins-like products. However, I always check every single
manufacturer so I'd never assume that chicory is consistently the source. For
example, Suzanne Somers (yes, the Three's Company actress) markets a line of
low-carb, low-glycemic foods that use chicory-based inulin as part of the
sweetener. However, they have not cooperated with me in terms of verifying the gluten
status of their foods (particularly flavorings) so I've avoided them.

Many supplement companies market prebiotic formulas that use inulin that is
derived from Jerusalem artichoke powder, which is gluten-free. Many in the
holistic health community believe that inulin is a preferred food for the
lactobacilli and bifidus in the intestine and can improve intestinal bacterial
balance. Inulin is also a source of fiber. Jerusalem artichoke is also frequently
recommended by alternative practitioners to stimulate the liver and gall bladder.
I take a brand of inulin prebiotic called Inuflora but there are many others.
(By the way, Inuflora is the size of a horse pill so I have to use a pill
splitter).

Per Dr. Holland's recent post, inulin can be derived from numerous edible
plants, foods and herbs, therefore every source must be confirmed. But then
again, we spend our lives on the phone and on the web confirming everything anyway,
right?

Best of health,
Jill Easton
San Diego, CA