Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:48:34 -0500

I just returned from New Orleans and I wanted to report my experiences and the
advice that I received from list members before I left.

 I was told that ACME oyster bar only uses corn flour for breading.  I am also allergic
to all seafood so I wasn't able to eat anything but their sliced ham or turkey.  My
family enjoyed their seafood while I hate the ham.  The manager took me to the
kitchen and let me read the packaging on the meat -very nice to me.

I also had heard that etouffes and gumbo would not be gluten free but that
jambalaya could be and to ask a lot of questions before ordering.  I didn't order any
because of the seafood that was in the ones where we ate.  I was also warned to
make sure that no roux was used in anything that I ordered.  Roux is browned wheat
flour.

People reported
 they had good GF meals at Dickie Brennan's, Palace Cafe',
Commander's Palace, Brennan's and The Bourbon House.  PF Chang's and the
Outback were also mentioned as "safe " restaurants.

I did eat at Commander's Palace for lunch.  It was wonderful and I was well taken
care of.  Their chef said that he could easily accomodate my needs and to name
what I wanted and he'd work around my limitations.  There is a dress code if you do
go there and lunch is MUCH cheaper than dinner.  Also ask to see their gardens and
the upstairs dining rooms.

We also stopped at Pat O'Brien's and I showed the hostess my GF card and asked  if
they would be able to fix me anything to eat.  The chef came out and talked to me
and then called over the dining room manager and introduced me.  The chef named
three or four choices that he could make for me GF.  I wasn't going to be able to eat
at that time because of a tour we had sch
eduled but said our party of 14 would be
back in 2 1/2 hours so the chef said he would put in a baked potato for me since they
don't usually serve them baked.  We returned after the tour and had a wonderful
meal.  They couldn't have been nicer to us.

We also had a very good experience at Remoulades on Bourbon street.  The chef
was able to make me a very good meal.

I had no trouble while I was in New Orleans.  If I didn't get a good feeling that they
knew anything about GF or if they told me they couldn't guarantee no cross
contamination, I just ordered a side salad without croutons or salad dressing.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier request.
Carol