From:
Tyrailia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 19:59:12 -0500

Whelp folks... it is GF, but don't take it on an empty stomach!

Here is what was said...

-yes,my Mom is on Arthrotec,and it gave her a sore stomach initially,she now
takes it mid meal.Still makes her feel really hungry.She isn't G.F.,so it
seems a general complaint

-Arthrotec is gluten-free.  I have been taking it for 4 years and find it
very good for my osteoarthritic knees.

-As per the Clan Thompson's GF drug database it is gluten free - and I take
it without upset or DH rash.

-Never heard of this one but would be interested. I have taken vioxx,
celebrax(both gf) and many more. I need an anti inflammatory badly and
haven't found
one that I can use. Please let me know or post it's gf status. I had
shoulder surgery and have a very inflamed shoulder.

-My Mom had an awful time with that med. After ending up in ER (vomiting
bile)  I took her off,  but she isn't CD. Or thinks she isn't, never been
tested.

-Good question.  I started taking it a month ago, but got very severe
diarreah and quit.  (No, not smart, but I ASSUMED that my doctor, who knows
I'm celiac, had checked it out.)  I just looked it up on line in a google
search of Arthrotec +gluten, and got several hits that it had caused
diarreah.  I still don't know if that's from the medicine or from gluten,
but either way, I'm not taking it again.

-Hello~
Arthrotec is a combination of two medications. A NSAID (non-steroidal,
anti-inflammatory drug) is the part that will help your back pain, but can
cause stomach upset~ALWAYS TAKE THIS MEDICATION AFTER EATING-which may be
why your stomach is bothering you now;  the other medication is misoprostol,
it causes a layer of prostaglandin protection for your stomach; while taking
any NSAID there is an increase risk of stomach upset, discomfort, even
possible ulcer~the risk increases with dose and duration. This combination
was formulated for people who are possibly going to take the NSAID for a
long period of time and want to be sure that no problem with their stomach
limit the effectiveness of long term treatment.

Cautions: while taking this medication you must NOT take any additional
NSAID's such as-ADVIL, ibuprofen, ALEVE, naproxen, aspirin, etc.(Tylenol or
acetaminophen is all right) AND while taking this medication it is critical
that you do NOT BECOME PREGNANT(assuming you are capable and possibly in
that season of life-lol) prostaglandins can cause miscarriage, you may also
notice increased cramping in your monthly cycle(again, not knowing the
circumstances...this may not apply).

I do NOT know the specific gluten status of this product, which of course
complicates all things for celiacs, but there are enough gastric symptoms
for the "Average Jane" that I would not automatically want to eliminate the
medication as a glutin source. Especially of it is helping you.
I have successfully taken this medication for a few days or weeks at a time
with no serious problems.
Aside from all this~IS it HELPING your back?? It must be taken
regularly-twice a day  with food-to do the most for you, rather than taken
only "as needed" -when you feel pain.

-Yes, I've heard of it.  I don't take it because it's a daily pill; they
tend to upset my stomach if they're strong enough to last all day.  I take
100 mg
of Celebrex 4-6 times during the day.  I requires some discipline, but works
well and is easy on the gut.

-Even though Arthrotec has an ingredient in it which is supposed to lessen
GI side effects called misoprostil,  you can still get abdominal pain from
it.  Unfortunately, gastrointestinal side effects are the most common side
effect of  of drugs used for arthritic pain. The pain is likely caused from
the antiarthritic drug as it his highly unlikely that it contains gluten as
a binding agent.  A call to the manufacturer  is a good route to take to
check out to see if it is gf.

-I have taken Arthrotec and it is good medicine for arthritis. I am taking a
drug right now called Voltaren which is diclofenac sodium, themain
ingredient in Arthrotec. I have not had any gluten reactions from it. You
should take it with food or it will hurt your stomach. It also causes loose
bowel movements for a couple of days until you get use to it.

-I took Arthrotec many years ago (before GF) and it was a very effective
drug however I developed an ulcer and had to stop.  Many years later after
being
diagnoised with CD I found all arthritis drugs seemed to upset my stomach
even though they were GF.  Good luck.

-I have seen it written on the net on gluten free drug lists that it is
gluten free. I have been taking it for about a year and a half with no
problems after being prescribed Feldene which made me sicker and sicker and
I finally realized it contained gluten. I have only found one other anti
inflammatory that I can take and that is some ibuprofen products. I would be
happy to hear of others if you are able to find that information.

-my sister in law, who is not a celiac, takes this drug, she has
osteoarthritis and also needs inexpensive drugs. it is an older arthritis
drug and so far she hasnt had any problems with it, and tells me it seems to
help a lot