From:
Jeff Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:27:12 -0600
Hello listers,

I am taking a class at the local Vo-Tech on building and upgrading PCs.  I took the same class 4 years ago and built 1 computer then (433 Celeron on an ASUS P2B-B w/64 MB RAM and still working well.)  For this class I have researched components till my brain is mush, and have assembled a list I would like to submit for comments and suggestions.

This computer will be used in an accounting office.  We have 3 computers in a peer-to-peer network, 2 running Win 98 SE and 1 running Win 98.  We use several tax programs, accounting programs, spreadsheets, word processing, time & billing and a few others.  No graphics, photo/video editting or games.  Boring, I know; just basic office stuff.  I have a DSL connection to research computer parts, e-mail.  I need stable reliable computers that are on 10 hours a day, 5 to six days a week.

I plan to use Win 2000 on the one I will build.  If all goes well, I will build another and rotate out of use the two oldest machines.  Currently, the fastest machine has a P 3 on an Intel board with 256MB RAM and a 30 GB hard drive, with 8 GB used.  It is plenty fast for our needs, and the new machine will be more than adequate.

ASUS P4PE-X w/Intel 845 PE chipset.  My reading indicates this is a good stable chipset.
Pentium 2 2.4 GHz with 533 FSB.
512 MB Kingston 333 MHz DDR SDRAM PC 2700
Western Digital 40 7200 RPM ATA 100
AGP 4x...I'm open to suggestions.
Enlight mid-tower case EN-7280 w/340W power supply.
Sony CD-RW.
US Robotics modem. (I receive faxxes into the computer).

I believe the parts to be compatable, stable and reasonably priced.  I try to use for several years.

Thanks for your input and I'll let you all know how it works after assembly.

Jeff Long