Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:58:49 EST
Just another thought Ian, have you tried placing the HDD in a ziplock bag,
then into the freezer for awhile? Not having any direct experience this way, I
have read several articles that referred to this method. One solution mentioned
in PCWorld also mentioned removing the outer casing and tapping gently on the
HDD while it is powered (definitely not for the faint hearted or electrical
mystified!)

Chris Ryan

Yeah, I tried all the usual stuff Mike - I just wondered if anyone could =
come up with some recovery system I wasn't aware of. =20

Turned out the drive was 'puckarooed' (in NZ parlance) - dead, =
unserviceable, stuffed etc.

I installed it on a system as the sole drive with a fresh ribbon cable, =
and it spun up ok, but the minute it started, it clunked and clattered =
like an old cement mixer, so I'd guess it's definitely history now.

Thanks again to all who responded

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml