From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:42:38 -0400
At 19:26 07/12/03, Peter Shkabara wrote:
>Here is another Microsoft problem. I got an MS Wireless Optical mouse blue
>and am running it with Windows XP Pro. The problem is that I have the
>pointer speed adjusted to MAXIMUM and I still run out of mousepad
>trying to
>move it around the screen. A friend has an opposite problem in that he has
>his mouse (a different mouse type) adjusted to MINIMUM speed and it still
>flies across the screen! I downloaded and installed the very latest
>Microsoft Intellimouse software but it made no difference. Any ideas
>of how
>to modify the speed - through the registry perhaps?

Hi Peter

Did you set the mouse "acceleration" up high. This is
different from mouse "speed".

You'll see that if you can't slowly move the mouse from
one point to another (due to the size of your mouse pad),
if you move the mouse really fast, it will have go much
further on the screen. The technique is to move fast and
then slow down as you get near your target.

And if you start to run out of mouse pad, you can always
move backwards slowly and then return forward much faster
...to extend the mouse's on screen range in relation to
the mouse pad.

And of course, there's the technique of lifting the mouse
up off the pad when you run short of room and moving it
to the other side of the pad (through the air) so that
there's once again room to continue on the mouse pad. I
don't consider my hands to be large, but I can pick the
mouse up easily without shifting my normal grip on it.

I suspect that as you get used to your mouse, such
techniques become almost unconscious acts.

Regards,
Bill