C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:37:10 EST
Dear Friends,

I am asking you to aide the American Library Association (ALA) and myself,
alert libraries to the computer and web access needs of patrons with print
disabilities by responding to this short questionnaire. Please feel free to make
copies of this questionnaire for friends who do not have computer access.

I have long been an advocate of access for all, and while I have seen
progress in the areas of “accessible technology” in both public and academic
libraries it still lags, and have authored the book Adaptive Technology for the
Internet ( RC 51780)  I am hoping that perhaps reading about the need of access
from the patrons themselves might encourage more to “do the right thing.”

The results of this short survey will be incorporated in a special issue of
Library Technology Reports, published by ALA and hopefully read by Automation
Services staff and administrators throughout the country.

It is interesting to note that many librarians are convinced that their
particular library doesn’t have any “blind or visually impaired” persons residing
in their service area. Hopefully enough of you will speak up through this
brief survey and convince my colleagues you are out there and would use their
libraries if they were accessible.

A Big Thank You to All! Please respond by November 28, 2003.
Sincerely,
Barbara Mates, Head, Cleveland Library for the Blind
later than November 28, 2003.
Blvd., Cleveland, Ohio 44114

What state do you live in?

If Ohio, which county?

2. Do you use a public or academic library? If the answer is No, please skip
to question 8.

3.If you use a public library does it support adaptive technologies (AT)
which you can use?

If yes, how did you find out that it was available? ____library staff
____library web site
____friend/relative told me
____computer user group informed me
____information in a consumer orientated newsletter
____received flyer in the mail
____other

4. If you use an academic library does it support AT which you can use?

If your library does support AT what is available? (Example JAWS, ZoomText,
Braille printer, special keyboards)

Do library staff know how to use the equipment?

If your library does not support AT have you requested that it be added?

If you have requested it be added what response did you receive?

Would you use your public library if it supported AT?

9. If you have had the occasion to use AT in an academic or public library
setting, how did it change your life?  Note: If it did not, it is o.k. to state
this.

Please add any information you feel would be useful to readers of the
forthcoming work.

Return to: Barbara Mates 17121 Lakeshore Blvd. Cleveland, Ohio 44114 . An
electronic version of this text may be obtained from: [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask] Deadline Nov.  28, 2003.