C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:04:21 +0100
On Saturday 27 Sep 2003 7:48 pm, you wrote:
> Deri that makes no sense... I have listservs that send many dozens of posts
> a day. why would Kyle's server be blacklisted?
>
> Mag

I believe AOLs mailservers keep track of which servers are sending messages to
any AOL address, so if I had a list of 10,000 AOL addresses and sent a
message from 'chuzzlewit.demon.co.uk' to all of them these mailservers may
start to think that I was 'spamming' their users and my server may get put on
their blacklist.

This may seem quite a good idea, if my mailserver sent out 10000 to different
AOL users, I probably am spamming them. However it breaks down if you imagine
'chuzzlewit.demon.co.uk' was actually a big company or university campus and
10000 students all send mom & dad's AOL account a single e-mail. AOLs
mailservers would not be able tell the difference.

Also, in these days of Windows Virii which include their own SMTP engine, its
very easy for someone to "spoof" my mail servers address, so AOL thinks I
have been "spamming" their servers, and blocks my server address, so I can't
send an e-mail to anyone at AOL.

This is what has happened to 'CO.FRANKLIN.OH.US' (Kyles mail server) it has
been blacklisted (not by you but by AOL on behalf of ALL its users - whether
you want them to or not).

There is nothing you can do, except yell vociferousy at AOL. Change to
"idiots.com" - worth it just for the e-mail addy!! (Oh drat - misread it -
its "idiom.com"!!).

Cheers

Deri