C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:52:47 -0700
Michael:

Belated congratulations on the house.

Suggestions:
-Have a hardworking spouse who enjoys all aspects of
housekeeping & yardwork;
-Go ahead & make those modifications which  will make
your house safer &easier to use (e.g. ramps, grab
bars), even if you can 'get by' without them now.  And
plan ahead: if you're going to have a shower stall
installed, & you see a wheelchair in your future, get
a roll-in shower now.
-Be preparted to pay to get some things - around here
it costs $35 every 2 weeks to get a small lawn mowed &
edged - a task I couldn't do, & one my wife has more
importantant things to do than that.
-If you have kids, start them young doing household
tasks.
- Most important: Have a hardworking ...   oh, already
said that.

Good luck.   After 6 years of apartment living & 28
years of home ownership, I'll take a house.