C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:35:58 -0400
I was the younger of two boys, and I was the "hell raiser".  My mom, who
can't stand being idle in retirement, took a "parenting" class last year at
the local community college (at 69!).  The focus of the class was sibling
birth order.  She was amazed that the generalizations made in the texts
studied were spot one for my brother and me (youngest sibs tend to be
risk-takers, more gregarious, tend to be "class-clowns").  Says a lot, I
think, for nature over nurture in family dynamics.

As far as the "mildness" of your CP, Kat, wouldn't that be simply a
reflection of the location of the lesion(s)?  As for me, I attribute the
fact that my speech is unaffected to my being a "left hemi".  If I remember
correctly, left lobe injury (affecting the right side) results in speech
issues far more often than right lobe injury.

To Mag:  Being 40 when my son was born, I can empathize a bit with your
parents.  It's much more demanding, physically and emotionally, than when my
eldest was born.  I was 26 and had the slightest of issues resulting from my
CP.  As far as your crying, my Dad tells me that he was very exasperated by
my continual crying as an infant, but that was a dim memory by the time I'd
reached adolecense.  Could be that I'm just lucky to have had parents that
were incredibly patient and long-suffering.  I certainly would rather have
had my parents and still have had CP than be fit in body and have had
different parents.  Very special people!

Kyle