From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:54:07 -0500
At 00:28 07-02-98 EST, you wrote:

>According to "Replace Your C: Drive in Win95" on page 249 of the March 1997 PC
>World, you should go to Start | Run and type
>xcopy c:\*.* /e /h /k /r /c d: (where d: is your new drive slaved to the old
>drive)

This won't work as is. You have to put the d: before the switches. (Note that
the *.* is not necessary.)

Personally, I like the switches RICHKEY. That is, /r/i/c/h/k/e/y
The same as above except for the two added switches /i and /y

Suppose there is stuff already on the target drive. When xcopy goes to copy
a file over a preexisting file, it will ask you for permission. This could
take a while if you have a some files (hundreds?) there already. The "y" switch
will get rid of this question. ("yes" by default) If there is nothing on
the target drive, the /y switch does no harm. And if you have to
start over again for some reason, it might save a *lot* of time.

The "i" switch means that "if the destination does not exhist and
copying more than one file, assume that destination must be a directory".
Who knows. But it can't hurt anything.

The point is, that RICHKEY is easy to remember and the extra two switches
*may* come in handy. They certainly will do no harm. I recall that some magazine
added a correction to their xcopy article. I don't remember if it was
the March 1997 PC World or not.

Regards,
Bill

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]