Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:49:04 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/03 2:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> My impression
> is that she consumed different kinds of denatured milk products, like most
> westerners probably, and got rid of her ilness
> by eliminating these
> commodities from her diet. If that's true, which I believe is the case,
> then condemning all dairy is plainly illogical.

It's not true.  Read her book.  By the time she gave up dairy, she was eating
relatively little of it and what she was eating consisted of organic ghee and
yoghurt.  Her book is certainly compelling, but there is tons of  dietary
advice in it which I know would make me feel terrible ie eat soy, eat whole
grains, eat lots of fruit and veggies and especially legumes, etc.etc. Perhaps
certain people are more sensitive to dairy -- as she explains in the book, she
believes dairy is highly promotive of cancer, but does not claim out and out
causation. Rather, in her view, it is a primary risk factor.  I would say it's
akin to the fact that some people drink heavily for years and have healthy livers
yet others end up with liver disease.  Same goes for smoking.  Anyway, her
personal story is quite compelling and inspirational regardless of what one
ultimately thinks about her dietary advice.