C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:54:46 EST
As a kid, I had an allowance, as well as I had chores, like weeding the yard,
collecting and emptying the trash cans from all the rooms in our house,
setting the table, feeding the dog. As a teenager, I graded test papers for my dad
who is a professor of psychology, I also evaluated text books for easiest to
read and best layout for my dad because he had students who were not the best
readers. I got paid $2.00 -- $3.00 per hour.

In high school I took care of a friends garden while she was on vacation. I
got a job somewhere along high school typing "p" cards for our library. They
are the cards that tell which magazines and articles the library has.  This has
probably been computerized now. I did that as a volunteer.

I had my savings account by first grade, and I prided myself on how well I
could save my allowance, birthday and Chanukah money.  When I was 19, my mom
helped me set up my first checking account and taught me how to balance my
checkbook.  Later on, when I wanted to borrow money from my parents, I was always
good about paying them back.

Mag