C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:41:13 +0100
On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 3:47 am, you wrote:
> Nice pix, Deri. Thanks for sharing. I've currentlyly got the travel bug, we
> may take a long weekend away soon. But, ahhh, the French countryside. (Or
> English for that matter!)
>
> Did you notice any difference between English and French attitudes toward
> disability?
>
> Pam

When I last went to France (for more than a romantic weekend!!) I was an 18yr
old (1972) and I noticed a BIG difference, disabled people were expected not
to be seen - particularly after dark. When I discussed this with a few people
I got the feeling it was a Catholic thing - you know, sins of the father and
all that.

However, 30 odd yrs on and I detected none of that this time, very patient and
accomodating. The only people who I occasionally had problems with (like
asking someone a direct question and them answering without looking at me (or
trying to answer to one of the kids rather than me)) were more elderly -over
60, but it was only a few isolated cases.

One thing which hadn't changed was the instances of spontaneous generosity
(such as getting into most of the tourist attractions free), and getting
bought drinks at the local hostelries!!

The countryside was very flat around where we were (Loire Valley) and the main
roads (not motorways) all had lines of trees on both sides - very somnolent,
whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

Cheers

Deri