C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:39:20 -0400
Thought some of you might be interested in this.  I've been asked to speak
at a panel during the conference about young feminists with disabilities.
I'm very excited about it!

~Joy~

Women with Disabilities and Allies Forum:
Linking Arms for Equality and Justice for All" in Bethesda, Md.,
Friday to Sunday, October 17-19, 2003
Hyatt Hotel in Bethesda, Maryland

The NOW Foundation and the American Association of People with Disabilities
will bring together a diverse group of women from across the country to
discuss a wide range of issues, share ideas, give support
and forge an alliance committed to creating a more just and equal world.
"All women share the dream of full equality, economic and personal
independence, educational and employment opportunity, reproductive freedom
and full participation in society," said NOW President Kim Gandy. "Women
living with disabilities face multiple forms of discrimination, making it
even harder to achieve their goals. Breaking down these barriers is a
longstanding priority of NOW and the NOW Foundation, and we are thrilled to
be working with AAPD on this important issue."

"This forum will cross the boundries of sexism and ableism, as we work
together on mutual concerns," said Stephanie Ortoleva, co-chair of NOW's
Disability Rights committee.

The forum will kick off on Friday evening, October 17, with a reception and
entertainment at the Hyatt Hotel in Bethesda, Maryland. Saturday and Sunday
will feature plenary sessions, workshops and panel discussions. An
impressive list of leaders from the feminist and disability rights
communities have been invited to speak and conduct workshops. Topics on the
forum agenda include:
economic empowerment
the state of civil rights
political activism and grassroots organizing
abortion, reproductive rights and custody issues
health care and caregiving
violence against women and inaccessibility of shelters
aging and disability
lesbians with disabilities
young women with disabilities and young feminists
body image
bringing together the disability rights and feminist movements
"Now more than ever, disability rights advocates must cultivate diverse
allies in our common struggle for justice, dignity, and respect for human
and civil rights.

AAPD is delighted to join with the NOW Foundation to bring together leading
activists and organizers this October for an historic opportunity to
reinforce and reinvigorate our combined efforts to achieve equality,
empowerment, and justice for all," said AAPD President and CEO Andrew J.
Imparato.

"Women with Disabilities and Allies Forum: Linking Arms for Equality and
Justice for All" will provide a unique opportunity for activists and
newcomers to motivate, teach and inspire each other in a supportive setting.

For registration, see,
http://www.nowfoundation.org/issues/disability/forum2003/