C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K. Salkin
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:04:30 -0400
I don't mind debating ideas, but you're right, labelling can be hurtful and
that's why I try to stay away from it.

I used to be rather liberal but as I've gotten older and encountered more
diverse viewpoints, I've become more middle-of-the-road in my politics.  I
don't like the present-day welfare system and think far too many people are
abusing it when they could be working productively. I also happen to think a
lot of the people begging for handouts on street corners should be working
at fast-food restaurants, or other places rather than begging.  I don't give
them any money as I think it'll be wasted on booze, etc.  I also happen to
think we have a great economic system based on capitalism and the markets.
I honestly believe that if you work hard enough, you will make it.

There are no easy answers  to the problems facing our county today, but I
don't think Bush and his cronies are pushing things in the right direction
as far as the economy is concerned.  I do know that my synagogue is feeling
overwhelmed with requests for help (we are a member of the local charitable
organisation to help the poor and homeless) because the level of donations
from individuals have gone down due to the high number of layoffs here.  So
much for Bush and his push to have religious organisations take on the
burden  of government social welfare programs.

I honestly feel Bush doesn't have  a clue what life is like for the average
white American, much less for blacks, women, or disabled Americans.  I
certainly don't see him as particularly sympathetic to minorities.

Kat