C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Scott Sands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 18:45:06 -0700
Ken Barber:

What an ad-hominim attack.  I won't pretend to know you, or Magenta, or what's going on in TX...but I DO know what it takes to attack a person, and not her ideas. Please forgive me if your comments in this case strike me as less than profound, and even a bit mean.

To all of you on the listserv:

I hope you'll welcome me into your little group.  My name is Scott, and I'm a Writing Tutor at a branch campus of the University of Washington in the gorgeous Evergreen State.  I have mild, hemiplegic ataxic Cerebral Palsy, and I and my brother are both adopted by a pair of wonderful human beings.

I've been "listening in" on some of your conversations for the past two weeks or so, trying to get a better sense of this part of my identity I've carried with me for (as of this last May 8th) twenty-seven interesting years.  At 14, I engaged in what was then a somewhat experimental surgery, one that included both lengthening both of my Achilles tendons and attaching my hamstrings to my knees.  Any of you know Dr. Scott Hoffinger?  He used to work for Children's Orthopaedic in Seattle, and last I heard was working in CA somewhere.

Right now, I'm biding time at UW-Bothell, getting ready to apply for graduate school in Creative Writing.  Please feel free to comment, ask questions, and otherwise acculturate me to the group...and thanks for reading.  :)

Scott R. Sands
(253) 315-2397
5604 S. 297th St.
Auburn, WA 98001