BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:23:35 -0400
In a message dated 6/21/2004 7:45:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> ....I am still looking for a good , affordable roof idea
> Py

Mr. P,

Saw your namesake in "Dodgeball" with the Little Ralphs yesterday.  He was fun, but I like you better.

As for roofing matters, using 4x4's is not very cost effective, as the 4" width won't accomplish anything; as you know, the strength is all in the depth. I'd advise 2x6's set in a conical pattern, with triangular panels of marine plywood over each segment of the circle.

If you don't want to mess with the cone, your flat roof ought to be framed with 2x10's.  I'd still use marine plywood for the deck; don't want no 1/32" think sheeet metal that some idiot's going to stand on and fall through, cause you were too cheap to put decking underneath it.

As you also know, they make these things outta wood in Noo Yawk, and they seem pretty durable; roofs seem to be tar paper, or something equally high tech.

Ralph