BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:08:45 -0500
Old Economy Village has a little round rough stone building, the
Grotto.  The inside is highly finished and classical.  It had a thatch
roof last time I saw it.  Originally it had a thatch roof, (1825),
replaced within a few years by a wood shingle roof.  The framing and
sheathing for that roof remains.  The wood shingles were replaced by
copper sheathing with thatch.  The thatch deteriorated, and it spent a
long time with the copper exposed.  In the late eighties, PHMC (me and
others) replaced the copper with new copper and rethatched.  We grew
the rye for the thatch at Landis Valley, and installed it with our own
maintenance staff.  (Out-sourcing had not yet reached its current
favored status, and did not seem practical, since the next best
alternative to training our own staff seemed to be to bring a crew over
from Ireland.)  The last time I remember dealing with that roof, ducks
were nesting in it.  Mr. Fugelso, if he is currently lurking, may have
more up to date info.

But, thatch is an interesting and very medievel alternative.  But, wood
shingle is more durable.  Copper is kind of nutz for a utility
building.

-jc