BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:18:15 -0500
David,
        Welcome home.  And congratulations on surviving your personal
life.
Yep,
        Looking at everything with rectangular boundaries and feeling
the responsibility to document and create the best way to capture the
image can be quite a burden.  I pretty much have traveled every inch of
my journeys with a camera.  In fact most of my travel days were paid for
through documentary assignments.  After my boys were born, I remember
taking a trip to New Hampshire without a camera in an effort to be with
my family without archiving the event in photographs.  It wasn't that
natural at the time!
        I used to keep a log and note light, time and weather conditions
if I did not have the right equipment and return at another date.  As
the primary means of display was always slides the limitation was
horizontal rectangles to keep the screen full.  Man, do I miss slides.
In most of the presentations I see for case studies or architecture
awards the image quality is so poor it is embarrassing for the trade.
Nice crisp 35 mm slides, rear projected in a dark room with a two or
four projector dissolve, synchronized to music....  Nothing better.
        The thing I love about the digital is the forgiveness of the low
light slow shudder speed.  Many of the shots that I once would not
attempt, as the wonderful ability of film to capture the contrast in
turn did not allow informal quick capture, I now take regularly.  But I
miss crisp full depth of field sharpness.  I also miss kodachrome 25,
the best film I think I ever used.  A film you could almost paint with
at low speeds.
Oh, I also like how my new digital camera has a default sound of an SLR
when you take the shot!

Best,
Leland