VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 16:19:31 -0400
Sorry, I'm not buying that argument.  Just because I am handicapped,
(blind), doesn't mean I should request special treatment that I do not
require.  Should I be able to request a sign language interpreter just
because I'm handicapped?  NO.  I should be able to request a sign language
interpreter if I am hard of hearing.  Do you think it would be right
for a deaf person to request materials in braille?

The idea behind the handicapped parking spaces
is to allow those who are "mobility impaired" better access to public
places.  Certainly some blind people may be multiple handicapped and also
have a mobility impairment, but those who do not have a mobility
impairment should leave those parking places to those who do.

Generically saying that all handicapped people should be able to avail
themselves of all the rights and privileges of any other handicapped
person is going a bit too far.  Learning disabled people are considered to
be handicapped.  Does that mean that someone with dyslexia who runs
marathons should be allowed to park in handicapped spaces?

Should I be able to go to a hotel and request a wheelchair accessible room
just because I can?

My apologies, but that is called taking advantage of your handicap, not
availing yourself of your rights as a handicapped person.  It behooves us
as a community to do that which we are capable of doing.  If you are not
capable of walking across the length of the parking lot because of a
mobility impairment, then so be it.  However, if you simply don't want to
walk the length of the lot simply because it is more convenient to not,
that is definitely taking advantage of a situation.

We do ourselves a great disservice if we grab at any accommodation simply
because we are generically referred to as handicapped.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi