C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:51:07 -0400
7bit
From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Sounds like you have a lot going on there for him and are definitely going
in the right direction.  Love the extra curricular activities and the fact
he has 3 older brothers to hang with.  The chores and dressing will just
have to take practice and modification if needed (such as loops inside his
pants for now, or learning to hook his fingers in the belt loops).
Your doctor is the one who should have told you about the cp deal.  In
Dallas is a great OT school at TWU, if you give them a call you might find
an OT in the area who knows about CP from something different than a simple
medical model.
When the exceptional ed folks test your son (as should happen every 3
years), make sure they are using tests designed for kids with physical
disabilities in order to get a more accurate assessment of your sons
capabilities.  You've been having to deal a lot with his medical problems
so, he has a lot of catching up to do in the social/ emotional domain.  You
can have the school write goals in that area.  Also, dressing goals can be
addressed, etc.  Push the academics if you feel he is capable.  I find
schools tend to underestimate what kids with physical disabilities can do.

Hope I'm helping some.

Beth t.