Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:10:11 EDT

I"ve just got back from a wonderful trip to Provence and Paris and have a
number of tips.  My brother lives in Paris, so I go there often, but this was my
first trip since my diagnosis

Two Paris restaurants were particularly celiac-friendly:

 One was MA SALLE a MANGER at 26 Place Douphin (a delightful old square on
Isle de la Cite-right next to the Palais du Justice).   Open for lunch and
dinner but closed Monday and probably Sunday as well.  The owner is delighful.
When I told her about my special eating needs, she said she had another client
who couldn't eat wheat, and that I should just relax and she would take care of
me.   They have a fixed price menu for lunch for 15 euro, though wine  and
desert (none of which was gf) etc is extra.

A wonderful surprise was that the chef of what is my favorite restaurant in
Paris, called LE REMINET, in the 5th, has a wife who is a Celiac!  3 rue des
Grands-Degres.  Tel  01 44  07 04 25- book ahead.  It is closed Monday and
Tuesday and I'm not sure if it is open for lunch.  I can't tell you what a pleasure
it was to feel 100% certain about everything he said.    Tell the waiter that
you can't eat wheat and he will get the chef to assist you in ordering.  The
food is wonderful, and the cost was 85 euro's for two, including wine.  Also
an extrememly friendly place.

When eating in health food restaurants, it probably best to say no soy sauce
(sauce de soja) when you go through the no-wheat speal - I had to send my food
back because I neglected to say this.

I usually stay with my brother, but he stayed in Provence, when I went on to
Paris.  Instead I stayed at a Citadine Hotel in Les Halles, but they are all
over the city-indeed all over Europe.   The advantage of the Citadine chain is
that all the rooms have kitchens (and generally they are well situated and
have good views).  Thus I was able to make two meals a day for myself and eat the
other out-limiting the risk about what I was eating.

A health food store with a big supply of gf food was Rendez-vous de la Nature
at 96 rue Mouffetart in the 5th.  tel 01 43 36 59 34.

I used the Schar website to  find stores to buy gf products in Provence.

Lois in Newton