Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:51:41 -0700

For those of you  with MS in the family and  those who responded to my
earlier post-- here is the answer to my question posed to Dr. Rudert  ("are
brain lesions in MS and CD identical etc.?)  I have often wondered if some
MS patients have been misdiagnosed and are actually celiacs or
gluten-sensitive.  A consideration, especially if the spinal fluid is clear.
I am wondering if  a balance problem often associated with MS might actually
be 'gluten ataxia.'  There was a high percentage of CD among the MS patients
of  a doctor I have spoken to at  the Tahoma Clinic in Redmond, Washington.
I have since found that many celiacs have MS in the family.   Food
(gluten-free)  for thought.  The reply follows. See below.  Helen Hecker
R.N.

Neurologic disorders may be associated with Celiac Disease:  The
majority
are uncommon except for migraine headaches.  It is thought that at
least
4% of migraine headache sufferers are undiagnosed celiacs.

The brain lesions in cerebellar ataxia, which can be seen with Celiac
Disease are identical to MS.  Both involve "white matter" changes.
The
NIH in Bethesda, Maryland is looking to enroll patients with
cerebellar
ataxia. Ataxia is diagnosed in a patient who has difficulty walking a
straight line. They are screened for celiac and regardless of the
results
are placed on a gluten-free diet and monitored.  The Nurse
Coordinator can
be reached at 1-301-435-8518, or call Barbara Kimber at 1-301-496-
0600.

An article you may find of benefit:  Ghezzi, A., Zaffaroni, M.:
"Neurological Manifestations of Gastrointestinal Disorders, with
Particular Reference to the Differential Diagnosis of MS", Neurol Sci
2001; 22 Suppl 2:S 117-122.  Also, Pengirna, T.C., Wills, A., Holmes,
G.:
"Neurological Complications of Coeliac Disease", Postgraduate Medical
Journal 2002; 78(921): 393-398.

I am not aware of a specific article on optic neuritis and Celiac
Disease;
however, a Medline Review may be of benefit.

Sincerely,

Cynthia S. Rudert, M.D., F.A.C.P."