From:
Alexis Hafken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:12:56 EDT

I received 12 responses to my post and thank you all for your help!
First of all, I must tell you that Hebrew National states, both in their
correspondence to me and on their web site FAQ (
http://www.hebrewnational.com/faq/default.asp#gluten)
"There is no wheat, oats, rye or barley in any of our Hebrew National
products, with the exception of Hebrew National Beef Franks in a Blanket which
because of the puff pastry do contain wheat and gluten."
That said, most of the responders have eaten these hot dogs with no
reactions. A couple of people said that they have had reactions after eating the hot
dogs. Some pointed out that the Clan Thompson List has their 97% Fat free, their
low fat and their regular hot dogs as all being gluten free.
Others stated that my responder was incorrect, one saying that "gluten is
only found in wheat species, rye, triticale, barley, and possible oats.  If this
is saying that hydrolyzed soy protein is used in their products, they would be
g.f."
Another person said that "soy does not turn into wheat gluten" and pointed
out that there is also corn gluten but that's OK for us to eat.
So, in conclusion, I would say that most people eat these hot dogs without
any reactions. And that the Hebrew National person who answered my email may be
confused about the nature of hydrolyzed soy protein. Since I don't do that
well with soy in general I think I will try another brand of hot dogs that has no
soy in it and wait until Passover to eat Hebrew National (which I love!) when
the soy is no longer an issue.
Thank you again for all your answers to my post!
Alexis Hafken