From:
Bielecki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:32:58 -0500

Here is my summary of Virginia restaurants.  I hope it is helpful to some of you.  Those of you who replied to my post--Thank You!  I'm sure that will help us a lot with eating out and make our trip that much better!

You can go to www.dcceliacs.com for information about the Washington D.C. area.  This is a website of a celiac support group there.

Red, Hot & Blue is in Fairfax &Alexandria (other places, too) The wet sauce is GF, potato salad & baked beans are GF - this is a very casual barbq place.  Lots of Outbacks, Lonestars, Chipotles, PFChang in Reston, TGIFridays.

I use Cracker Barrel Old Country store restaurant while traveling.  All the plain vegetables are OK except the breaded okra.  The mashed potatoes are real potatoes. (check the butter).  I have had the grits for breakfast and a poached or boiled egg.
The vinegar for the greens is cider. Ask lots of questions and make sure they don't put bread on your plate.
The cooked apples are very good.

The Seafare Steakhouse at 1632 Richmond RD.  The service was excellent and I just happened to have a waitress who was familiar with celiac sprue. There was a good selection of food to choose from.

I found a support group in Richmond but none is listed for Williamsburg. There is one in Washington DC and a listing for Virginia and MD at
http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=310&p_catid=35&sid=91hH9H0lrCP59lr-43103600488.ad

 If you get into D.C., Clyde's in Georgetown was highly recommended.

The Outback which is located in Williamsburg on Route 60 (Richmond Road) on the north side of town was also recommended.  If you go to Red Lobster, I have been told that their seafood seasoning has gluten in it; so be sure to order seafood without the seasonings.  I went to Chownings one night, but they were unfamiliar with the diet.  Also, once I attended a dinner at the Williamsburg Lodge.  It was with my husband's company, so it was prearranged.  I called ahead and indicated that I needed to have gluten-free food.  They were very accommodating - they were familiar with the diet.  However, I do not know if you would get as good results without calling ahead.

I live in Manassas.  I eat at a restaurant called Jakes in Old Town which is
by the train tracks.  They have a delicious salmon with maple sauce and a
prime rib that I have eaten with no problems.  They have been helpful when I
ask about ingredients and explain that I can't have gluten.

Kyoto Steak house in Williamsburg....a Japanese style steak house.

There is an Indian restaurant in the vicinity that has a lunch buffet that they told me  i s all gluten-free.

Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 national/regional restaurants and their lists of Gf/WF menu items.

Near Antietam, Maryland there is a restaurant called Tortuga which is owned by Clarion.  Look up www.ClarionAntietam.com and then to to Tortuga.

In Williamsburg, there is the Trellis, which is in Merchant's Square in the restored area.  Also, Indian Fields Tavern which is in a farmhouse on I believe it's on Route 5 about 10 miles out of Williamsburg toward Richmond.  Both places are celiac aware and very accomodating.  Plus, they are both good restaurants and very popular.