From:
Rosemary Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rosemary Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:29:43 -0500

Deear Listmates:

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my question about itching.  I learned a great deal, primarily that this is associated with celiac in many cases.

This fellow's description confirms my belief that I need to find out what's going on - now. I can relate to his experience about the gastro doctor missisng the diagnosis.

"That's how my DH started. Just an annoying itch here and there. Finally
after many years the sores erupted and the dermatologist did two
biopsies and there it was...full blown DH.

Do you have CD? I had it for years without being diagnosed. I had gone
to a gastro who totally blew it. Did an endoscopy but didn't do a biopsy
and diagnosed my CD as something totally different. It wasn't until
after the DH diagnosis that a second gastro did a small intestine biopsy
and diagnosed CD."

Here are some excerpts from other letters I have received:

1.    Soaps, lotions
2.     Consuming gluten
3.    Iodine causes
4.    One person has the itching around the face, shoulders, etc., it lasts for about 24 hours.  Creams, lotions             have not helped.
5.    "It is DH"
6.    This website was recommended:
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
7.    One person has the same thing and associates it with food allergy such as wheat, corn and brown rice.              No breaking out.
8.    Another has itching but no breaking out.   Associated with CD.
9.    Itching with no rash is also a sign of diabetes.
10.    One uses a prescription for Zonalon, an anti-histamine cream.  Itching on neck, palms, soles of feet.

11.   .....No breaking out, just itching. I guess it is something to
        do with the disease. Our daughter also has that sometime
12.  The sun or cold weather makes it worse for some people.
13.   This itching often occurs on the  hands, arms, shoulders, buttocks - these are the most common sites,              though not the only ones
14.    Was tested for DH, but it was negative.
         The itching comes and goes, but is usually with me -- sometimes it's the arms...sometimes behind the             knees...sometimes the ears/face...I can't begin to tell you how much it's driving me nuts.
15.    It is probably DH. Many people get this that have CD. My understanding is usually after going on a GF             diet this should get better.

I'll save the other comments for Part II.

Thanks again for all the great input.

Rosemary