From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:36:28 -0800

Ok, well I'm not anywhere near ready to eat out at a restaurant at this
point being only a few weeks into GF (and still eating a very basic
elimination diet, challenging dairy, corn, rice, soy, eggs, beans, lentils
starting next week - woo hoo!) but I was thinking about once I get this all
straightened out and I go just gluten-free (if I dont have any other
sensitivities), I *AM* going to have to eat out otherwise my social
isolation will kill me.

But I dont really understand the whole eating out thing. If you go to a
restaurant, you cant really be sure that even if you request no bread or
products with gluten that you are not getting contamination from something
(a chefs spoon, oops the server accidentally put bread on your plate, took
it off but left crumbs). I mean, you go to a place and ask for grilled
chicken or a burger but how do you know they arent cooking it directly on
top of the spot they just made a grilled cheese sandwhich?

Anyone understand this concern? How do you deal with it. I realize that
there will be some people who will say DON'T EAT OUT. I understand that
perspective, I'm only trying to get feedback from people who DO eat out
successfully and are fairly confident that they arent getting contamination
(i.e. no reactions, biopsies staying clean. etc.)

Thanks!

Patrick