Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Heidi Schuppenhauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:21:51 -0700

I just came back from California. Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

Most of the recommendations I got were for:

- The Outback
- In and Out Burger
- Mother's Grocery in Irvine

I had the "protein hamburger" and the In and Out for most of my lunches,
which seemed ok, though with all those buns floating around I don't know
how. They ARE very good, however! I also stocked up at Mother's, which is a
great store (you can also order from them via the phone, which is nice:
they have Tinkyada pasta).

Most of my meals though, I had at Grandma's house, and I'm not sure they
were really "ok" though she tried. Anyway, we survived. I cheated and did
the "travellers' prevention" (take Pepto Bismol and Metamucil every day:
Pepto prevents about 60% of the cases of "traveller's diarrhea", maybe
because it prevents bacterial overgrowth, which is one of the main
"symptoms" of gluten reactions. I don't think that is a good idea long term
because it probably affects the good bacteria too, but it works great for
travelling!).

We also went to Disneyland. I talked to Chef Chris and he made some
recommendations (mainly: talk to the chef!). We had reservations at the
Blue Bayou, and the chef did talk to me and was quite empathetic ... he
also said that ALL the meat is marinated in a sauce he knows has flour in
it, except the salmon. He was going to wash off the marinade so it would be
ok, and I said that really would not work. He found some tenderloin that
was not marinated though, and fried it up in some butter with some vegies
for me, which was really quite excellent. My daughter had a shrimp cocktail
(which is also her favorite). I took a chance on the ribs in the Mexican
restaurant in Frontierland, which seemed to work out ok: they also had good
grilled corn and asparagus. But they DO put butter on the grill, so if you
have problems with dairy it wouldn't work.

We stayed at the Marriot, and the waiter there had zero idea about gluten,
but we had their breakfast buffet. They had lox and I brought some
crackers, so I had my favorite (lox and crackers) and big piles of nice fruit.

I also carried some fruit and nuts from Starbucks, and some homemade jerky,
which really got me through the week. And a case of bottled water.

-- Heidi