EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 23:48:42 -0400
Kathie, a loop is a good solution for hearing aid users who are in
lectures, but in a meeting room, where users might have to not only
listen to a speaker, but also talk to others and participate, it would
not be worthwhile, in my opinion.

Most hearing aids have what's called a telecoil (sometimes referred to
as a T-switch). When the hearing aid user switches his or her hearing
aid to T, only the input from the telecoil will be heard, not the input
from the mic. So the user will hear the speaker across the room just
fine, but can't hear something said by the person sitting right next to
him/her.

Some newer, more high-tech hearing aids allow the user to hear both at
the same time, but those are the more high-end hearing aids (which have
an M/T switch).

Without a better understanding of the room and the acoustic problems
therein, it's hard to make a particular recommendation, but as Jack
mentioned, there are quite a few other solutions. Good luck!

--kerri