EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denis Anson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:57:57 -0400
I have often wondered if the skills necessary to learn Braille might also
translate to the skills necessary to get and hold a job.  Just as Calculus
is used as a filter course in many college curricula that never use higher
mathematics, Braille reading might be a filter of those without the
necessary skills to hold a mainstream job.

On the other hand, we do know that it is difficult to learn the structure of
an illogical language from a screen reader, whereas Braille readers know the
difference between homophones, know capitalization, and the like.  This
information is available to screen readers who take the time to spell out
words, but only by breaking the flow of text.  It is always available to
Braille readers.

Then, too, screen readers are so new that we probably don't have reliable
information.  Historically, there was a choice between reading Braille, and
not reading independently.  Today, there are other ways of getting access to
written information that may change the picture entirely.

Denis Anson