From:
Peggy White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:44:08 -0400

Thanks for the usual wonderful, supportive responses.  I checked the archives and got some great info - just from the last couple months.  Also,

  I just had this procedure done myself.  I used lorazipam (generic Ativan) from Ranbaxy so I would be less than aware of what they were doing to me and APAP with codeine (a generic Tylenol 3) from Mylan for the pain afterwards.  It was a two part procedure and I didn't have trouble either time.  It seems to have gone well and I go back to get my second set of stitches taken out tomorrow.  I also didn't have any trouble with the mouth wash, Peridex I think, except it makes the mouth taste bitter for hours.  Yuck.

Why don't you ask for some intravenous Versed for your procedure?  This will
calm you down and it works fast, and wears off pretty rapidly.  No
intravenous injectibles contain gluten.

I THINK that Johnson and Johnson has Motrin now -- same people who do Tylenol.
I'm also virtually certain that it is OK. I know that Halcion has been GF in
the past because I took it for my anxiety over dentists. As a precaution, I
would NOT allow them to use a flavored topical anesthetic before they use to
the needle for numbing. It hurts a little bit more but unless you can confirm
no gluten in the topical, you're taking a chance.

 Halcion is definitely gf, but brand only, don't trust the generic stuff.  I
don't think Halcion is a good thing to take before surgery unless you want
to be completely knocked out (it's a strong sleeping medication) and you
will be all groggy afterwards too.  I would think that Valium would be
preferable. (That's what my dentist prescribes).  That is also gf, brand
only.  I had gum surgery recently and I had my dentist check everything out.
There is no gluten in any of the novacaine etc., but have your periodontist
check out the materials for you in advance........I also would advise you to
get some Darvocet (also brand is gf) and take it when you are finished and
for several days after the surgery.  I hope you don't have as much pain as I
did post-op, but eventually everything was okay.......also, I recall that
there was some sort of soft diet that I had to follow and I had to make
jello and some other soft gf foods to have in the house afterwards to keep
from ripping the stitches out while eating

My recent experience with graft surgery went beautifully, although I have not been concerned about gluten free products with reference to dentistry.  I have noticed many people on the list have mentioned it, such as powder inside the dentist's gloves, but somehow I can't believe such a trace amount as might possibly be transferred to one's mouth could matter.  If you have a good periodontist who talks a lot (!) you won't mind the surgery

Sorry, your Dentist is typical and unfortunately un-informed.  Tell him
that isn't good enough and to please look not this.  In the mean time
look around for another dentist/dental surgeon if this one doesn't cut.
Although this is a bit melodramatic, tell him that you issue is acute,
and although the visible reaction varies from mild to severe, the
intestinal damage is can be quite severe due to an immediate immune
response.  This is true for some folks, other not as big a problem, but
it isn't worth the risk.

Unfortunately, need to get a hold of the manufacture to confirm the
status.  Mergers don't assure GF status.

I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

had that done and had no problems

I thought Halcion had been banned from sale because of all the problems
resulting from it's use.  I did a Google search and found these two items,
and didn't go any further, but there were many other sites as well.

http://www.freedomtocare.org/page97.htm

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/5940.html

You might want to read up on it, and I would strongly urge caution in using
it, gluten-free or not.  I would use Valium instead (although you would need
to find out if it is gluten-free).

Advil is the exact same drug as motrin..take 3 = 600 mg.

I know this is hard to believe, but gum surgery sounds worse than it
actually is. No it's not pleasant, but you'll probably get through it more
easily than you think. I speak from experience.

Anyway, Motrin is gf (you can always contact Johnson & Johnson, parents of
McNeil). Don't know about Halcion, though.

Thanks, Peggy in nh