From:
Caryn Gottlieb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caryn Gottlieb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:08:41 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my email requesting suggestions about gluten-
free dining and shopping in Charleston and Kiawah, South Carolina.  This
information was very helpful and got me excited for my upcoming vacation.
Here is a summary of the information that I received:

*******
In North Charleston there is a Health Nuts and organic Foods at 2110
Greenridge Rd, N Chas  843-764-4956.  There is an Earthfare in the S
Windermere Shopping Ctr 843-769-4800.  They have a lot of g/f foods,
breads, frozen foods etc  www.earthfare.com  I called about the website and
the lady didn't know if it listed g/f foods. After looking at the SC map
the S Windermere is off 171 or Hwy 700 on the way out of Charleston towards
Kiawah.

Eating out should not be a problem as there are plenty of fast foods such
as Wendy's.  I eat at the Outback steakhouse a lot which as you know has a
g/f menu.  Ryan's Steakhouse has a hot bar and I eat there a lot.  Most of
the fish places have broiled fish, baked potatoes etc.

********
We spent our family vacation in Charleston this summer.  Our daughters,
ages 11 and 13, are both celiac.  The highlight of our trip was our dinner
at Carolina's, in the historic district.  I don't know the address, but I
am sure it will be in any restaurant guide.  They apparently have many GF
customers, because they were incredibly helpful.  My kids particularly
liked the fried wontons (yes, GF), and had them for an appetizer and
dessert.  As far as shopping goes, we did okay in the Harris Teeter stores,
rice crackers, GF waffles, etc.

**********
There is an excellent restaurant located on the way to Kiawah called
California Dreaming (843)766-1644.  It overlooks the Ashley River toward
Charleston.  The chef salad is gf w/oil & vinegar sans croutons.  Delicious
food all the way through their menu!   Go hungry -- huge servings!

There is a very nice health food grocery & deli on the way, too, at the
Windmere Shopping Mall on the Folly Beach highway.  It is called Earth
Fare.  You can't miss it.  It has beautiful produce (organic) and a very
extensive hot buffet as well as cold buffet and salad bar for a light
lunch.   Very interesting store, too!  Clothing store, a NY Deli, and
cinema in the same shopping area.  Across the street is an ice cream shop,
Starbucks, spa, and other shops!  Interesting area.

Charleston is a tourist town and most of the larger restaurants are
accommodating to various diets & needs.  Fresh fish can always be baked or
broiled.

****

Contact local support group.  Here is a link for NC support group, which
might be the closest one or can refer to the SC one.   There is a list of
NC support groups at
http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?
p_prodid=310&p_catid=35&sid=91hH9H0m82Yb73z-33103058260.2a
although none specifically in Charleston. However, maybe one of the
nearest ones may be of some help to you.

***
Go to Outback Steakhouse web site, they have a gluten free menu and a
location map.  Perhaps there will be one near where you will be.  I have
eaten at Outback Steakhouses all over this country with excellent results.
Make a copy of the menu, take it with you, and ask for the
manager.  Good luck.