From:
melissa vener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
melissa vener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:25:28 -0700

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions for the group. I have been on the list for
about two years. Here it goes........

I was EXTREMELY sick two years ago and FINALLY found a doctor who would test
me for celiac disease. She was an endocrinologist. She did the IGG/IGA
antiglaiden test which came back elevated. She said I am suffering from
celiac disease. I went gluten free and started to feel much better. Then I
was told by a gastro doctor that I needed to have a biopsy. He didn't tell
me to do the gluten challenge (didn't even know it had to be done). I found
out myself a week before the test that I was suppose to be ingesting gluten.
I ate some gluten for a week and then had a biopsy which came back negative.
Even though the gastro dr. told me I did not have celiac, I continued on the
GF diet and felt MUCH better. The past couple of months I have cheated alot.
A month and a half ago I got really sick again and started getting severe
muscle weakness, muscle & joint pain, numbness & tingling in my feet &
hands, off balance, & stomach problems again. I went to a rheumatologist who
is retesting me for celiac disease with two other tests and he also wants me
to go to a neurologist because of having over-reactive reflexes. The celiac
test will take about 2 weeks to get results.

Has anyone ever suffered from the muscle weakness, etc. that I described? I
am petrified that I may have MS. The dr. is also testing me for Lupus. He
said that there is definitely something going on (autoimmune) wise in my
body but he just doesn't know what yet. Of course I am thinking the worst
and imagining myself in a wheelchair from having MS.

Thank you,
Melissa in CA