From:
Gail Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:45:15 -0400

I want to thank everyone who wrote me with information about Italy.  A great source for GF restaurant cards can be found at:
http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/spr_info.htm or
http://www.sci.fi/%7Ekeliakia/tiedote/kielet.htm#kreikka
Also, a site for translations is
http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/Translate

I was very concerned about my eating in the “pasta center of the world”, but it really worked out great.  Breakfasts were fruit and lunches were salads, and dinners were great.  A wonderful person on our list-serve told me about a place in Milan called Trattoria Casa Fontana 23 Risotti- a restaurant that had 23 different types of risottos. When we sat down, my husband got a basket of rolls/breadsticks that were reg. and I was given a basket of GF products.  The owner was very familiar with the disease, had a lot of Bi-Aglut products and could suggest what I could or couldn’t eat.  My food was wonderful and he even offered to make me something to take with to eat for lunch the next day.  We ate there twice.  He is now closed for 2 months for remodeling.
He gave me a booklet put out by Bi-Aglut which listed restaurants throughout Italy that were celiac-friendly. The back of the booklet says “Associazione Italiana Celiachia in collaborazione con Bi-Aglut”.  One other one in Milan was
Be Bop-a pizza place with separate ovens for wheat and GF pizzas.  Very tasty-and we also were given separate baskets of bread products.  My desserts in both restaurants were fantastic.
Unfortunately Venice did not have any listings.  I did show my Italian rest. card in each location, ate 10 nights of great meals, and did not get sick at all. Everyone seemed very conscious of what was ok or not.  In Venice I would recommend Vini da Gigio and Restorante La Colomba very highly.