From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:25:53 -0500

From Joy in Arizona:

Hi list mates:  Thanks for all your ideas and good wishes as my son begins
kindergarten!   I got a lot of responses to my request for ideas for his
"treat box" at school.  I was looking for suggestions that would truly be
treats--something that would not be in his lunch box or part of his snack
routine (rice cakes, GF pretzels, puddings, etc.) and would fare favorably
against the cupcakes and cookies the other kids would be consuming (so as
much as he likes carrot sticks, they just wouldn't do!).  I was also looking
for ideas that might make the other kids in the school somewhat envious of
his treat, allowing him to be on the positive end of a food issue for once
(with him having something that everyone else wants instead of him wanting
what everyone has).

We are fortunate in that my son will be attending a small 2-room school
where with only about 15 kids K-8.  All lunches are from home, no
sharing/exchanges are allowed, and all uneaten food is returned home.  There
is a refrigerator and microwave at the school, so I'm certain I can work
something out with the teacher.

Every child is different, and mine is not a big pastry eater.  While I'll
keep cupcakes and brownies  on hand in the freezer, I think he'd rather have
a box of Cracker Jacks or an ice cream bar (the Dove mini's would be
perfect).  Yours may relish a cookie or frosted cupcake instead.  Here's
what everyone else had to say:

*****************
Last year, my son's teacher let us keep a few items in the
teacher's refrigerator.  So, we kept 2 frosted cupcakes in
the 'fridge, along with some jello, and small yogurt cups.

In a separate snack box, different items would rotate like
pretzels, M&M cookies, starburst, sweetarts, and hershey's
kisses.

One thing I've done is give new teacher's a copy of Danna
Korn's book.  They were very appreciative, and after
reading it gave it to the school library.

**************
 Hi Joy,  my son is going into the 2nd grade this year and has been diagnosed
since kindergarten.  One treat that he loves is dove or other type gf ice
cream bars.  He keeps them in the nurses fridge and gets one whenever  a
classroom treat is served.  We also keep a candy box in class so he gets a
choice.  Good luck to you and your son.  Barbara

*****************
There are very tasty GF pretzels and cookies (my favorites are from Mi-del)
that are mass produced and available in health food stores.  Flavored rice
cakes are also good, as are popcorn and corn chips.  If the kids are
having ice cream, all the better - most brands are GF.

My daughter, 12, keeps some special treats in her locker at school, but has also
had teachers willing to keep something in their desk for her.

M&M's
Starburst candy
Popcorn cakes or Popcorn balls (sold around Halloween)
Marshmellow Peeps
Snack size bags of: Frito's, Wise Popcorn, Wise plain potato chips,
Hershey Kisses or Hugs

If they have a freezer, i send in Gogurt, or any other GF yogurt

I also call the Class Mom at the beginning of the year and inform her of my
daughters
celiac, this way any class parties coming up, she calls me a few days in
advance,
I either just send in cookies or cupcakes for just my daughter or i bake for
the class.

************************

My son is severely allergic to wheat, eggs, and milk so I always keep a
number of treats in the classroom for him, including raisins, fruit snacks,
safe candy.  I also bake a batch of safe cupcakes and keep them in the
freezer in the health room.  That way, whenever there is a birthday party,
he can just go down to the health room and get his own cupcake.

FYI - If your school is anything like ours, be prepared for lots of food
related activities in class.  For example, when my son was in kindergarten
(he's now going into 6th grade), they used Fruit Loops to make patterns, had
a kindergarten-wide Bread Bake day, and usually had some form of cooking
every week.  Be sure to speak with the teacher to find out what the plans
are for the year and to make sure that he/she keeps you informed of any
upcoming projects for which you might have to provide alternate products.
Sometimes you'll have to be very creative.  For Bread Bake day, I suggested
that my son take a disposable camera and be a photo-journalist, documenting
the event and sharing the pictures with the class afterwards.  As I'm not
the most creative person in the world, I'm still very proud of that idea!!

*******************
Believe it or not, my daughter's favorite treat at school is frozen
blueberries (they obviously have a freezer nearby).  My daughter just
finished first grade.

One thing that worked very well wtih my daughter in K and first grade was
taking her to the store with me and having her pick out her own special
treats.  I never would have thought of frozen blueberries - it was her grand
idea.

************************
I look forward to your summary.  We use M&Ms, Butterfingers, Peanut Butter
Cups, Smartfood, Starburst, Peppermint Patties.  At some point I hope to
make cupcakes and freeze them but I am new to this and just experimenting
with recipes and school communication, etc.

*************************
Ok! It may sound funny but I personally have my own "treat box"... At school
(yep, I'm still at school even if I'm 25), I keep a bag with some stuff in
it. I've got mixed nuts & fruits, nuts & honey bars (I don't know if you can
get it but we got it in "natural food" grocery stores), sesame bars, Reese
(individual packs bought during Halloween time), sunflower seeds, honey
roasted peanuts, tea bags (green tea and "po li" tea but it might not be
good for kids)...

If I had a freezer, I would keep some muffins and ice cream. I thought about
keeping ice cream in my locker but I realized that it might be too warm in
there and that it would probably melt down... (Duh!) What I would recommend
is to talk to the person who's in charge of the food storage and ask if it's
possible to keep muffins in the freezer and if there's a microwave oven. If
there is, you can make a whole bunch of muffins and ask them to keep it for
you. Also, if you know a place to get GF oatmeal, you could make some
cookies and some granola bars. It's not easy to find it but if you can...

Also, the best person to ask about it is your kid. He could help you on this
and tell you what is not humiliating to eat when everybody gets some
birthday cake. I think I would feel a bit strange if everyone was eating
cake and I was eating M&M. I would prefer a small piece of GF cake or a
muffin. If there's a freezer, there's also the possibility of some GF
brownies. If you need my recipe, just let me know. I got it for my birthday
and I would say I never has a so good (and so over-sweetened) birthday cake.

**************************
I sent my celiac son to Kindergarten last year.  What I did was to put
several iced cookies and cupcakes in the freezer in the teacher's lounge
with his name and teacher's name on them.  That way anytime something came
up, all the teacher had to do was run down to the lounge and get him
something.

Hope it can help!

**************************
For our school treat box, we mostly stick with the small size candies.
Sometimes I send in a box of cookies but nothing that will spoil.

***************************
my daughter also starts kindergarten this fall.
at preschool I gave the teacher a plastic container
for snack time which included GF pretzels, small rice cakes,Health Valley rice
bran crackers(similar to graham crackers) , cheese rice crackers and GF Oreos(a
must). the teacher also had GF cupcakes in the freezer.
the problem with those was that I frosted them before hand and the frosting got
a little funny.this year I will include small candy bars and
kisses for special occasions and I may give brownies for the freezer since they
don't have frosting but I am not sure how my daughter will take that. I do
think
if she has a candy option she would be happy. she likes little bags of
skittles,
M&M's and plain chocolate.

Given a choice I opt for her to have the chocolate over just a sugary treat.
I would be interested in anything you find and good luck. I ,too am staring
to get weepy about sending her off.

*****************************

So far I have actually been able to keep about a months supply(4-5) brownies
or cupcakes in a freezer in the class room.  I always meet with the teacher
a few days before school to see what special events there are and look at
the birthdays so I can get some idea of when they are.  I would keep a box
of cookies (boxed ones so they last), candy bars, chips of some kind,
pretzels etc.  Also provide a letter and list of ok snacks for the teacher
so she can choose the GF alternative if possible.

***************************

How about marshmallows, Cracker Jack or other caramel popcorn, gf cookies,
such as Pamela's double chocolate chip, Carr's Chococcines (which are meringue
based chocolate cookies-yum!) or meringues- if they're well-sealed? I try to
put things in that are extra special...the other kids always want what my son
has! Kindergarten also has snack time, so you'll need to provide gf pretzels
(Glutano), rice crackers, rice cakes, etc. and keep them in a sealed plastic
box
with his name. If you keep the treats separate, he won't get them at snack
time.

When you do have advance notice, I always have Kinnikinnick mix cupcakes
(unfrosted) in a zip-lock in the freezer. I give him lots of frosting and
sprinkles. Besides asking the teacher, it might be a good idea to send
little notices
out in backpack mail with the other children to ask that the parents call you
in advance of a birthday and give your phone numbers at home & work. You
should also draft a simple letter for the teacher, school nurse and
principal for t
hem to have on file.

I sent frozen brownies indiv. rapped, frozen cupcakes.  If there isn't a
freezer in the classroom, maybe try the nurse's office.