From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:32:15 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/03 5:20:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> it's not getting the signal to stop at two
> drinks.>

I'm curious about this as well since I never seem to get the signal to stop
at 2 drinks although vodka (I know, not paleo but gets to the point quicker) is
my drink of choice/  I'm wondering why it isn't natural to want to get
falling down drunk.  Isn't it possible that our paleo ancestors discovered the
drunken feeling they got from drinking rotten berry juice and decided that they
liked it and wanted more, more, more?? The people I know who have no trouble
stopping at 1-2 drinks (or no booze at all for that matter) is primarily because
they do not like the feeling of being drunk or even tipsy because this makes
them feel out of control.  I think it's no accident that many people in high
stress, highly responsible jobs frequently get drunk precisely because it allows
them to lose control.  Of course this is risky business because there can be
nasty ramifications ie blackouts or embarrassing behavior, but -- for some
people, that feeling of being out of control is just delicious.  Just curious why
our paleo ancestors who faced tremendous stress just to survive (did you all
catch the poor chap on Walking With Cavemen who got his skull pierced by a
giant antler?!!) wouldn't have possibly found it intoxicating to be intoxicated??