From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:11:15 -0700
--- Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> havock.  Anyone else a little sensitive to this or
> is it just me?

Yeah, I don't think that anyone here should be pushing
alcohol as a health food. Clearly it can lead to a lot
of problems, like cirrhosis and domestic violence,
which may outweigh the benefits in possibly reducing
heart disease.

On another topic, though, I wanted to ask about salt.
I think that Cordain in his book pretty much forbids
added salt, but that Neanderthin does have salt in the
recipes (I may be wrong, but I think that's what it
said). What do people think about using salt? Somebody
around me told me that it was not a good idea to avoid
salt, because "during the war people died because they
didn't have enough salt. . ." I think this is probably
a bit over an exaggeration, i.e. they died because
they didn't have access to meat or fish, which have
good supplies of sodium, and were probably just eating
rice or other grains plus cabbages or something like
that.

How is salt generally viewed? From what I've heard
salt was only mined at the time of the agricultural
revolution, so it seems that adding salt to food would
be non-paleo.